The mission of the Lauderdale Yacht Club Sailing Foundation is to provide support, education, and leadership through the sport of sailing to children in South Florida.
We have grown to meet the needs of junior sailors in and around our community.
- We are dedicated to favorably impacting the lives of young people, primarily between the ages of eight and eighteen using sailing as a vehicle to teach boating, weather, marine safety, sea conditions, maritime ‘rules of the road,’ racing tactics, first aid and improve spatial and mathematical skills.
- We feel strongly that youth sailing builds character, self-reliance, independence, self-respect, and leadership skills in addition to supporting the math and science areas of education.
- We also support organizations in South Florida that provide sailing opportunities to the disabled and disadvantaged.
- The mission of the Foundation shall be to provide support, education, advocacy, leadership and assistance to the children of South Florida.
The Lauderdale Yacht Club Sailing Foundation (LYCSF) is a 501c3 charitable organization.
Located in the center of the “Yachting Capital of the World”, the LYCSF is a strong volunteer driven charitable/non-profit dedicated to teaching and supporting kids who want to sail. We believe the sport of sailing should be accessible to all children regardless of your ability to pay and because of the skills you learn such as independence, self-reliance, leadership, and confidence.
Founded in 2009 by member of the Lauderdale Yacht Club, the mission has grown to meet the needs of our junior sailors, and children from our community and region who all deserve the opportunity to sail. LYCSF is well on its way to supporting more than 1000 kids becoming sailors. Our main focus remains strong, providing scholarships and grants to young sailors to help them afford coaching and training programs and increase their chances to compete in highly competitive national and international regattas. We have also expanded our services to specialized camps and programs in our region and nationally in honor of our Gold Star families.
We believe that the skills learned through sailing stay with you for life and lead to successes.
LYCSF supported sailors can begin competing in grade school and continue through high school and beyond in various competitions, such as:
- Baker Cup High School Team Racing National Championship
- Mallory Cup High School Fleet Racing National Championship
- ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships
- ILCA 5, ILCA 6 and ILCA 7 World Championships
- Snipe Class Junior World Championship
- IODA Optimist World Championship
- IODA Optimist European Championship
- IODA Optimist North American Championship
- IODA Optimist South American Championship
- IODA Optimist Asian & Oceanian Championship
- IODA World Optimist Team Racing Championship
The Rhode Island scholar and author George William Curtis wrote, “It is not the ship so much as the skillful sailing that assures a prosperous voyage.” This sentiment expresses the goals of the LYCSF in the support of the youth of the community. Children develop skills leading them on a lifelong journey of self-awareness and fulfillment.
We need the continued support from individuals and corporate sponsors to continue serving the youth of our community.